Thursday, January 12, 2012

   Well this is a new experience, being a child of the 60's, you would think the world of technology and the wonders of computocyberspace would capture and amaze me. Sadly ( for me) the signs and wonders of the the binary code vessels are tedious detail to my life both in the professional the day to day. I know, I know, I shouldm love to Email and Gmail and FaceBook and any other electronic firehoses of current passion. But as I said the whole deal escapes me. I view (read Scrooge) the whole e-cybersphere as a tool intended for speedy communication and it serves a purpose.Nothing more.To me any second spent infront of a computer is a second wasted, when I am blogging, e-mailing, or tapping away my life(like right now...) I have more in common with an oarsman on a bench in the boring part of a coal galley.
  Just outside the door is all of the world, cold maybe, wet to be sure but it is a real construct. This endeavour, is without depth and lacks soul in that, though you all are all out there somewhere, I can't see your faces, hear your voices nor get your unvarnished reaction to what is said. The key board and monitor dicipline us and demand, in their primitive application, a a one dimentional communication. True, a good writer, can through his or her talent can mainpulate words and build meaning through language but much of what humans communicate comes across through the subtle interaction of expression, tonality, smiles frowns, fleeting looks, that speaks each to each, in a depth that a computer based dodge at communication cannot scratch.
  I know that the above words paint me as a stone throwing villager, in some ways I guess I am.I know I am that throw back, and I am sorry. I know technology put us on the moon and allows us to figure out many deep and difficult things.The technology that enabled us to do such great things exist as tools, but communication, real communication cannot be done through anything other than voices,faces and smiles.I will never love technology in any sense other than how it frees me from the gravity of ignorance and archaic thought, but I will never envy anyones operating systen nor stand inline overnight for more bits/bytes and least of all ...apps.  Peace            

3 comments:

  1. So true are your words and despite what we think society imposed on us, we can make choices and sometimes the price is high. My wife and I left our professions at the age of early thirties and lived in poverty (financially by government standards) in remote Alaska for 15 years. We had no electricity for months or phone for a year. We drove the ditches to gather firewood. Fortunately it was our choice and we loved it. I encourage to take your stone to the village and tend your goat under the grandeur of the mountain amid the wild flowers. But I also greatly admire you accepting you station in life and learning to understand it.

    I love the feel of a fountain pen in my hand and the warmth of the fire as a read a book. I love the unconditional love of a horse after getting where I want to go, but the world around me uses cars and computers and so I try to appreciate them as I try to help others understand the horse and the fire.

    I wish to you also peace and know that I am a better person because you sat before the computer, pecked at the keys and shared your feelings. This too will pass but meanwhile let's let it help us mature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello villager. I too am a child of the 60's and feel your pain. The challenge of swimming with the current in the ever growing technological maze is one that I undertake with some reluctance as well, but if I allow it to capture my attention and master the rudiments of manipulation, I do feel somewhat smug when I succeed. I am typing this while sitting in front of the fire...where I would love to be reading a book. Instead, I'm reading blogs, and in the end, that isn't so bad, either. GO NINERS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, although I am not a child of the 60's, I'm only 23, that sometimes I notice myself drifting off into Facebook and chatting with my friends and it doesn't feel personal. You cannot see their expressions, see their emotions, be able to look into their eyes to see if what you have said upset them because they haven't responded fast enough. Even though the internet allows us to receive information MUCH faster and without that much of a hassle, I firmly believe that we have to have that physical interaction with others because there is so much more than just chatting with them on the phone or online. Every person has a unique smell, the way they dress, you can see the glimmer in their eyes and the smile on their face, and lets face it, giving them a hug or a handshake is better than giving them a smiley face online.

    ReplyDelete